Geography has played an important role in Haiti’s history. Here are 10 mind-blowing facts about Haiti’s geography :
1. Haiti is the third largest caribbean country after Cuba and the Dominican republic.
2. The island is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea.
3. Haiti is divided into 10 departments .
- Grand’ Anse
- North East
- North West
- South East
4. Haitian Creole, one of the official language in Haiti, has three main geographical dialects an its uncommon for Haitian to speak more that one of them.
- Nothern dialect spoken in Cap-Haitian (second biggest city in Haiti)
- Central dialect spoken in the metropolitan area of Port-au-Prince
- Southern dialect spoken in the area of Les Cayes (province in south of Haiti)
- The island used to be called Hispaniola before it divided into Haiti and Dominican Republic .
5. Haiti also owns 6 other offshore islands.
- Gonâve Island
- Île-à-Vache translated as The Cow Island
- Les Cayemites composed of Grand Cayemite and Petite Cayemite
- Tortuga Island translated ad The Turtle Island
- Grande Caye
- Navassa Island – governed by Haiti and the United States
6. Haiti is the most mountainous nation in the Caribbean and its highest point is Pic la Selle, at 8,793 ft.
Pic la Selle , Haiti
7. The Artibonite River is the longest river in Haiti. The river starts in the Dominican Republic but most of it elongates in Haiti.
8. Due to its tropical location, Haiti’s weather is mostly warm .
From March to November it rains frequently . The hurricane season runs from August to mid-November.
9. Haiti is about the size of Maryland in the United States.
10. Haiti is one of the most densely populated nations in the Western Hemisphere.
88 Little Known Facts About Haiti. (2010). Retrieved from http://facts.randomhistory.com/haiti-facts.html
The Biggest Caribbean Islands. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://traveltips.usatoday.com/biggest-caribbean-islands-103055.html
Departments of Haiti. (2015). Retrieved from http://www.statoids.com/uht.html
Facts about Haiti. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.mohhaiti.org/about_haiti#.VgMVRI9Viko
Haiti Fast Facts. (2015). CNN. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/17/world/americas/haiti-fast-facts/
Haitian Creole. (2014). Retrieved from http://aboutworldlanguages.com/haitian-creole
What Are the Main Landforms of Haiti? (n.d.). USA Today. Retrieved from http://traveltips.usatoday.com/main-landforms-haiti-102655.html
By Jade G. Pierre, Digital Marketing Intern